Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Perspective

It's been a long week... a series of actions and reactions since last Sunday. The high winds from last Sunday that caused my electricity to go out also caused a tree limb the size of a yacht to fall in my backyard and take out two sections of the fence and a chunk from the roof of the half-constructed-monstrosity-of-a-"barn" in my backyard (he left halfway through its' construction). Of course, I have good friends and the fence is pretty much put back together, enough that Gracie won't try escaping to go poop on the neighbors yard.

Speaking of Gracie... she had a little anxiety attack after Sebastian left. I work from home, so she is at my side all day long... I trip over her as she races me down the stairs (why she races me, I have no idea - but damn if she doesn't always win), I trip over her as I walk back upstairs with my coffee, I trip over her running to the bathroom (my bladder is tiny)... well, you get the picture. Anyway, she is used to someone being with her all the time. When a person wasn't here, she always had Sebastian. On Wednesday, my project manager called a mandatory meeting. Of course, I had the flu (it's an every other week event in my household!) and was really not in the mood to go, but I did. I put Gracie in the mudroom (where she has been going when we aren't home for the past three years) and I left. I came back two hours later, and the doorframe is in chunks, Gracie's paws are mangled and her teeth are bleeding. (Apparently, she had no idea where the key was to get inside the house). Poor baby. I couldn't scold her, but I did ask her nicely to not do it anymore because they aren't so nice at the SPCA if she fails to get adopted. She's okay now, I just cleaned her bed, put it in the dryer with a Bounty sheet and let her stay in the house.

Speaking of dryers... the little rubber thingy that keeps the clothes from getting too hot came out with my sheets today. I don't need that, do I? I nearly tore a nail off trying to get it back in, then I just said, "F--k it!"

Speaking of nails... I made the major mistake of saying "yes" to the Chinese lady who does my pedicure ($15 and a great foot massage) when she asked if I wanted to get a manicure. I shrugged my shoulders, told her to put tips on (short) and paint them a light pink so they looked natural. Within a half hour of having them on, I regretted it. I burned two of them lighting a candle, and so had to file down the charred part, and then realized they all had to be filed, and so I filed away. They look ridiculous! Now, I have six months of torn nails to look forward to.

Speaking of looking forward to something... I have another glorious day with the kids tomorrow! It was a fantastic day today and the only thing we did was stay home - all day! It was fantastic. We colored, we read, we watched a movie, they took a bathy, we had dinner and they helped me clean my room up after my new bedroom furniture was delivered. When Paige asked me what my favorite part of the day was, I said, "All of it." And Tony said, "Me too, Mommy!" But when I asked Paige what her favorite part of the day was, she answered differently. She got up from her stool, walked over to me, planted a kiss on my lips and said, "Right now." (Yeah, I cried too).

The perfect ending to a not-so-perfect week.

No comments:

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...