Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Any Age

Farrah Fawcett was 62 years old. She was gorgeous. She was in love with Ryan O'Neal and had a stint with Lee Majors (the six million dollar man! Oh...) and I interrupted a meeting at work yesterday to announce the news. We all talked about it a little, and one of my coworkers even said, "I think we should cancel this meeting. I am too distraught." He got laughs all around, but I was really kinda sad. She was a huge part of my childhood and every once in awhile I blow dry my hair into the "Farrah". I haven't seen her act in anything in years, but if I close my eyes, I can see her face clearly, and the insecure-about-my-body part of my mind, can see her posing in that red bikini, on a poster pasted to my brothers' wall.

And MJ. Michael Jackson! Whaaa? The Thriller album was the first album I owned. Granted, Michael Jackson was a wee bit eccentric, but he was an icon in his own right. All the radio stations were playing his music yesterday (as they should have) and I heard songs, again, that I grew up with. I don't much care for the negative propoganda surrounding his life. I didn't know him. Who am I to judge? He made music, he had heavy paparazzi on him, and his tastes in fashion, young children and face transplants were open for all the world to see. There are thousands of people in this world with the same (somewhat unfortunate) eccentricities that we don't see because they haven't an ounce of talent - and haven't been discovered by the bullshit reality tv networks.

It was a sad day in Hollywood, that's all I'm saying. Two people that in one way or another touched my life have died at a really young age.

I heard a man (albeit very drunk man) in the convenience store say, "I'll miss Farrah, but screw Michael Jackson - I'm glad he's dead."

Really? Glad?

(Ah, who am I to judge this man? Although I heartily agree with the statement that Jon and Kate should be responsible for their life, their children and the path they are on. That situation is so depressing, isn't it?)

A death at any age is not something for us to celebrate,although I am sure that all those souls whom we'll eventually reconnect with on the other side, are tipping their glasses of immaculate champagne, and smiling, smiling, smiling...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey,
i agree with you completely. none of us really knew these people and they both had their "stuff" and their fame and their money and their faces will remain two of the most recognizable in the whole entire universe and c'mon--THRILLER?? these two people changed history, period!, but....they were someone's kids and someone's partner and someone's friend and someone's sister or brother. they were human beings and whatever it was that made them do the things they did can't overshadow the fact that they were loved. and that, all by itself, is a sad thing.

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...