Monday, July 16, 2018

Teenagers, Um. . .

They're cool.  They're not millennials, for sure.

I am sitting with the head phones on, playing Thunder Road to drown out the giggling teenage girls that are scarfing up Hamburger Helper, and giggling.  They're sipping root beer, swiping on their phones and giggling.

They're yelling to get my attention, but I won't look over at them.  I act like I'm engrossed.  I like writing, sure, but I'm not quite engrossed.  I'm ignoring them because I need a break from the giggling.

I asked them for some words that they use.  Half the time, they talk to each other and I don't know what the eff they're saying.

They will ask each other "Do you want to make prank calls?" and I will hear the response, "Bet."

Bet = Okay/deal/sure

They make the prank phone call, giggling they will hang up and say, "that was "Lit" or "Bruh" or "Bluff".

Lit = fun/cool
Bruh= you're an idiot
Bluff = you're a liar

If they're not eating my food or giggling, they will call a friend and say, "Come through" or "WTM".

Come through = come to my house
WTM= what's the move/what's the plan

What else?  They taught me "other" words/phrases too.  Sadly, alcohol and drugs still exist with teenagers.  I haven't witnessed any of them partaking, especially Paige (Tony has no interest in anything but XBOX), but I know how I was as a teenager so I am not a moron.  Weirdly, there are no phrases or words for drinking.  There are only phrases for pot.

Here are some:

Who's good = who has weed
I'm good = I have weed
Boufin = you smell (this could also be used for stinky feet or armpits)
420 = weed
Gas = weed

Ironically, "dope" means "that's cool".  Like, I think it's dope that you don't smoke pot.  They might also say "I can't fade" meaning, "I'm not going to do it."  And someone might say, "Sice", meaning, "that's a great plan."

Dope = that's cool
Sice = exaggerated happiness, that's a great plan
I can't fade = I'm not going to do it

They have party lingo too.  Like, this party is "turnt" and the food "smacks" or "strikes".  They might say, that girl has "tea" or "beef" because she's full of drama and yelled at me and someone might say "you can't go like that!"; or in the instance that the party was a bust, an attendee might say, "that party sucked, I "took an L".


S
macks/smacked = the food is good

Strikes = smacks
Taking an L = it's a loss
Turnt = in the moment fun/party  This party is turnt.
Beef/tea = drama
I can't fade = I'm not going to do it
Can't go like that = you have to get them back (instigate)

And finally, you ask them to clean their room and the response, if they're nice, is "ard" or if they're not nice, "that's beat".

Ard = okay/allright
Beat = that sucks

They're cool.  They're not millennials.


"For sure".

For sure = for sure, but they say it differently. 

No comments:

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...