Monday, July 30, 2018

Love Dares You

After categorically excluding my best friend Bruce from the running, I have determined that the song "Under Pressure" by Queen is my favorite song.  Certainly, Freddie Mercury's voice is one of the best ever - - - if you don't believe me, just listen to "Somebody to Love".  Outstanding.  His life was cut short, and it still saddens me because he was also one of the greatest live performances I've seen --- if you don't believe me, watch a YouTube video of him performing at Live Aid.

Putting these things aside, the song "Under Pressure" works well with my psyche.  There are a lot of times at work where I have to put my head down and just get things done in a matter of hours.  This song drives me through it because it has a great beat, great harmony and great lyrics.  It's also great for walking or running.

Putting these things aside, it is a song that stands the test of time.  Here's how I know:

I love to take walks.  Sometimes I will walk 6-7 miles at a time.  I do it for the exercise and the vitamin D, but I also do it because it clears my head and helps me to really find gratitude.  When I fail to do it for more than 3 days, I am sluggish and annoyed with myself --- always berating myself and my body.  So, I opt not to do that.  I also like to walk because I can smile at people and pet dogs and see the beautiful sky.  Connection with nature, pets and people.

Whatever my mood, I am kind to people.  I smile, I say hello, nod my head, whatever.  I acknowledge the existence of others.  Generally, people are also kind.  Yet there are some who will not even look my way.  I pass them and they are less than two feet away and they stare straight ahead, not even glancing my way.  I say hello or hi, and I get nothing in return, not even a look of disdain.

I started to check their faces and posture.  Jaws clenched, arms dropped, no headphones (that's in 95% of the cases), no dog and just unanimated.  Without causing an uproar, I can (and will) stereotype the person --- generally, the person who stares straight ahead is between 30 and 40 years old.  The person is white --- both male and female alike.

I surmise that pressure is pressing down on them.  Pressure from work and pressure with family --- and the lack of wisdom that comes from age.  I was probably a lot like this when I was completely stressed and heartbroken and overworked.  But then again, I didn't take walks.  So they beat me there.

Back to my "test of time" point.  I also notice that the song reflects present day America --- pressure bringing a building down, splitting families in two, putting people on the streets, praying that tomorrow gets us higher, these are the days it never rains but it pours. . . It's the terror of knowing what this world is about.

These are all lines in the song.

Feel the pressure building?  How do we get out of it?

"Keep coming up with love but it's so slashed and torn."

What a phenomenal line, and it creates the crescendo which brings the song more alive!

"Why - why - why?
Love, love, love, love, love,
Insanity laughs under pressure, we're breaking."

See what I mean?

"Can't we give ourselves one more chance?
Why can't we give love that one more chance?
Why can't we give love, give love, give love, give love
give love, give love, give love, give love, give love. . .?"

When I hear it while I'm walking, it takes all I have not to scream it out because I need the answer and I know it's the truth.   But wait it gets better because he answers the question and makes you want to really give love so you can escape the pressure (at least that's how I interpret it).

"'Cause love's such an old fashioned word
And love dares you to care for (people in the streets) the people on the edge of the night
And love dares you to change our way of caring about ourselves.
This is our last dance
This is our last dance
This is ourselves
Under pressure
Under pressure
Pressure"

Give love, give love, give love, give love, give love, give love, give love, give love, give love, give love, give love, give love, give love, give love, give love, give love,give love, give love, give love, give love, give love. . . 



No comments:

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...