Friday, July 13, 2018

The Sneetches

How long ago do you think Dr. Seuss wrote his story of the Sneetches, portraying the star-bellied sneetches as racist pigs against the plain-bellied sneetches who shared the island and resources, and political/religious/social climate with those racists?

That's right, it was 1961.  Dr. Seuss wrote it as a lesson for children.  He envisioned that the children who read it would grow up with an inkling of non-discrimination, that the polarization for being different might become a thing of the past.

Fast forward to now.

Every day there is a headline that details discrimination--- the drunk dude harassing a woman in the park for wearing a shirt with the Puerto Rican flag on it--- telling her to go back to her country (hmmmm. . .).   A woman in Staten Island being harassed for wearing a scarf, and being told she is no good because she, she, she...

Because she didn't have a star on her belly?

As simplistic as the story is--- it was written for children!--- the lesson is still being taught.

I often try to simplify things, compartmentalize them, and envision them on a smaller scale.  Back in the day there was always a Wednesday in March where I would head to church and get ashes on my forehead to start the Lenten season in the Catholic Church.

There were many times I would walk into the office, and someone would inevitably say, "Hey, you got dirt on your head."  I'd say, "Yeah, went to church."  Some would get it and say, "Oh, I forgot about Ash Wednesday", and others would ask about it and maybe learn something about my religion.

Could you imagine if they spit in my face?  Pushed me down?  Yelled at me?

With their snoots in the air, they would sniff and they'd snort.  "We'll have nothing to do with the plain-belly sort!"  And whenever they met some, when they were out walking, they'd hike right on past them without even talking.

It wouldn't be tolerated in the work place.

Imagine the day the company/store/government facility hired a new boss and the boss was all about segregation.  "Blacks?  They have to sit behind this wall because they're taking all our jobs and they weren't here when this company started.  The Jewish people go there, the pregnant women go there, the pregnant, non-white women go over there, the non-married blue-eyed blondes go in my office... and I'm hiring my friends, my son, my father, my uncle, cousin--- none of them are experienced, but it doesn't matter, they're white. . ."

Then one day, seems... while the plain-belly sneetches were moping and doping alone on the beaches, just sitting there wishing their bellies had stars. . .

I don't have the ending as it plays out in modern-day.

Maybe, like the children's book, Sylvester McMonkey McBean will show up with a star removal machine and will talk all the money from both sides, thereby uniting them against the machine, and peace will reside.

Maybe not.

I am not big on quoting atheists but with a little italicized tweaking, Joseph Lewis' quote on inhumanity is fitting (and true).

Man's inhumanity to man will continue as long as man loves God [atheism, money, self, race, religion, things] more than he loves his fellow man.

Harassing someone for the clothes they wear, the God they pray to, the color of their skin. . . it's inhumane.

Love.

That's the rule that parents and leaders and children must be teaching and be taught.

That's it.

No comments:

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...