Saturday, February 14, 2009

Love

In light of it being Valentine's Day, and me being a hopeless romantic (although I haven't had romance in a very long time), I decided to try and write about love. I saw it in my daughter's eyes yesterday as I danced the YMCA beside her in the gymnasium of her school - "the big dance event". They were wide eyes, happy, happy eyes and very secure. Her daddy was there too, and she tried unsuccessfully, to get us to hold hands and dance the twist together (awkward!), but we were connected to her and she looked back and forth between us with such love and gratitude in her eyes. The moment was bittersweet for me as a little pain pierced that dark part of my heart, but I shrugged it off, knowing that it is better this way. Her eyes, man, so awesome.

I saw love this morning in Tony's eyes. He was staring at me, wide-eyed, when I opened one sleepy eye. As soon as he saw my pupil, he grinned the biggest grin I've ever seen. He took my face in both his hands and said, "I love you more than everything Mommy" and kissed me full on the mouth. That's love, and I got that this morning. Happy Valentine's day to me.

Love is forgiveness resulting from understanding.
Love is trust, even when there is cause to doubt.
Love transcends physical distances.
Love is caring for someone, despite being torn apart by that someone.
Love devours hatred.
Love is given freely by my children because they haven't been hardened by the sadness in this life.

Love is what I feel for most people - even the rude bastards on the road, even the looney relatives who make bad choices, even the dickhead who invented those tiny craft beads that children use to make necklaces during craft time.

Incidentally, I'll be wearing a homemade bead necklace and bracelet the next time I go out - maybe next year. Maybe in love again.

No comments:

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...