Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Working 9 to 3:30?

I start my new job on November 1st and looking forward to it, though I have gotten so used to working from home (8+ years) that the transition to the office, I fear, is going to be difficult.  Yet, in light of the need to be in the office, my new employer has approved my request that I continue to get my children on and off the bus, so my actual hours at the office are less. The rest of the time I will be busting my butt to get the work done from home during the hours of sleep, which is a-okay with me as long as I get my dinner time and cuddle time with the kids.

What will I be doing, you ask?  Same kind of stuff I've been doing, except delegating more as a manager.  What was that, you ask?  (Sadly, I don't even think my family members have a clue what I do for work).  I will be in charge of the four teams necessary to get the telecommunications towers (where they hang the antennas so we can have texting, VM, email, internet access) up and running.  This includes finding the right location (site acquisition), zoning (need to get it approved by the county/state first), leasing (need to borrow a plot of land to get the sucker built), construction (which, duh, I'm not quite an expert on though I can read drawings) and all the developmental stuff necessary for completion.  My job uses my skills as a manager, delegator, legal reviewer and all around juggler.  I have known some of the people I will be working with on a daily basis for over 12 years.  I look forward to that part of it because there are some good peeps in the industry.

So, that is my income-getter.  My other, more important job, is the kids.  I've talked to them about the schedule change; that I'll be getting up way before them to get work done before breakfast, teeth-brushing and getting-on-the-bus time, and that they should just sleep in and let Mommy get her work done; that I'll be working after they've gone to bed too; and that sometimes I'd be on the phone so they cannot scream and fight in the background (this should be so much fun!).

Am I looking forward to the job?  Yes.  It is going to be nice to use my brain on one solid project, kind of mold it to be my baby.  It is also going to be nice to deposit that nice little paycheck into my account.  It will also be nice to have a distraction from my personal life - this grieving over loved ones is hampering my days...

Anything you're not looking forward to?  Nah.  Kinda wish I wasn't selling out for the paycheck and that I had pushed for the teaching job; worried about my writing; nervous about how this is going to affect my family life - not willing to get strung out with a job and need for a paycheck if it is going to affect how I interact with Paige and Tony.  A little fear there because unfortunately, as I am a Fuzzy, I get caught up in doing everything perfectly - so work will be #1 and kids will be #1 and Carrie will probably fall back to #23.
The good news is that I'll have money to buy stuff for myself - even though it is doubtful, as a single mom, that I'll have time to enjoy it.

Ah well, that's the price you pay to have it all.

Three more days of freedom left.  I better make it good.

2 comments:

Cliff Fazzolari said...

I like that you picked #23 by way of description. Good luck...balance...the key to life...oh and organization too. Youll handle it.

Cindy Lehnortt said...

Good luck with the new job. Here's hoping it all goes well!

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...