Monday, October 25, 2010

Understanding the Human Condition

I just read a tidbit on Career Builders, saying that the study of Literature can get you big bucks if you follow it up with an MBA or a law degree; and the reason studying Literature is such a huge deal is because it gives you a glimpse into some brilliant writing that helps you understand the human condition. 

Isn't every great book just an attempt at rounding up something that can explain away the pain and sorrow and grief and adultery and fear and hurt and greed and immorality?  Aren't many creative endeavors an attempt at making a happy ending for the nightmare that is life?

I actually thought about rewriting my life story in a work of fiction, with the happily ever after all intact.  No one lies, no one cries, no one dies.  Everything is perfect and brings me right back to when times were good and worthy of understanding the human condition.  I'd go back in time and make it all better...

It reminds me of the country song Backwards by Rascal Flatts... you get your dog back, you get your house back, you get your second wife back, you get your first wife back...

What would I get back?  I'd get the comfort of a marriage back before it shit the bed, I'd get my brother back, I'd get my dad back, I'd get my dogs back, I'd get my body back, I'd get my innocence back...  So yeah, I'm going to write that story.  I'm going to do what I do when I wake up from a nightmare, go back to it and try to become the hero instead of the victim. It's the only way to get through it because there is no understanding of the human condition, there is only the understanding that it sucks and you need to suck it up, tough it out and do the best you can while trying to be compassionate to those who are trudging through their own meaty piles of crap.

Until the bestseller hits the shelves, that's all I have to say about understanding the human condition.

1 comment:

Cliff Fazzolari said...

There are no new stories being written...they all start in a place of little understanding, trudge through the muck and mire, and end up in a small pile of limited understanding. You can write a beauty for sure.

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...