Thursday, October 28, 2010

It's so Easy

It is early morning.  The kids are asleep.  The dogs are asleep, though the little bastard will rally if I say anything and start whining loudly to wake the kids.  So shhhhhhh....

I just walked outside and looked up.  The sky is still dark with a promise of blue, blue skies.  High up in the sky, flying by the crested moon, an airplane soars.  I imagine that the passengers are all asleep, though I wouldn't be.  How cool to look out your window at thirty thousand feet and have the glow of the moon on your face?

Sometimes breathing is all it takes to get you to a place where bills don't matter; where the personal drama of someone else makes little sense; where the time that has passed and the memories that have haunted you are fixed - permanent and whole, immovable, and unable to move you beyond one moment where the stars twinkle, the skies promise and the moon glows.  And in those moments, that particular moment for me, my life didn't seem to matter much.  It became part of the bigger whole, significant and insignificant at the same time.

I step back sometimes from the movement of any given day and I am overwhelmed by the sense that living is so easy.  It is so easy, yet people die from stress, people die from fighting, people end up hospitalized because their only escape from this easy life are drugs or alcohol or self-destruction; they fight, they lie, they cheat, they steal just to find something to make them feel better somehow.  Yet, the best feeling in the world is love.  The best time of the day is when you give love.  The best moment and memory of every lifetime is the ultimate joy from loving.  Isn't it?

Love one another.  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.  Give love.  Love is a verb, not a noun.

The glow from the moon reminded me of that today.  I was told recently that I have a huge heart.   It used to be real small, but packed with anger, resentment, bitterness, an escape route so wound up that I was suffocating.  Like the Grinch, it doubled in size with kindness, it tripled in size from love - giving it, not receiving it -, it quadrupled in size from the simple act of forgiving.

I fall back on the stress sometimes and feel its strangulation, but for the most part, I can shake it off because what I have learned with all the pain and heartache is that the moments I remember the most about the loved ones I've lost (including my ex) are the ones that were filled with love; the moments I am affected by the most are the ones that threatened that love; the moments I want in the memory banks of those who love me, are the moments where my heart was big, not small.

If you change your mind, you can change your life.  I believe that.  But I also believe that you if you simply love - LOVE - and project that love all around you through acts of kindness and compassion and forgiveness, your life changes for the better.

Maybe the glow of the moon had some magical powers.  Maybe I'm still dreaming.  Maybe I'm just grateful that I can still look up and still remember and still behold the powers that are beyond me, and kind of control how I use the power of my power.  My God.

Love.  It's easy.

No comments:

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...