Thursday, October 7, 2010

Meaningless

It has been one of those weeks where the gospel at Mass on Sunday threads its way into my weekdays.  The basics of the gospel were easy enough:  All the seemingly big stuff that happens on earth is essentially meaningless in heaven and so, Jesus might say to us today, "Don't sweat it, kid.  Just keep the faith. Peace out."

I talked to a friend who is still going through the rigamaroles of her own divorce and she needed advice on a property issue - a neighbor's tree fell into her back yard, making a mess and busting up her fence.  She wanted to know if there was anything she could do besides pay her homeowner's deductible and get it fixed.

"You're outta luck," I told her.

"Ah, I figured.  No biggie, it's just a blip."

It's just a blip. 

On the radio the other day the broadcaster was talking about the daily dramas of life:  dishwasher's busted, dog crapped on the carpet, insurance rates when up, a tire blew making you late for work - whatever the drama might be - and he said, "99.9% of everything that happens on any given day is meaningless."

I went through the week listening to the voice in my head that worried about the money I was spending on new sneakers and jeans for the kids because they've grown like wildflowers (out of nowhere and tall) in the past couple weeks, and I kept reminding myself that it was meaningless worry.  I also listened to friends complain about work, home, their cars and their futures.  Meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

And so yes, I have to agree with the broadcaster.

To a point.

Yesterday, I watched Tony pick up a blanket from the sofa and cover a sleeping friend of mine (who by the way, goes by the name of Jason, and is increasingly present in my life), and how it was just natural for Tony to be that thoughtful.  That's not meaningless.  And at one point yesterday, I laughed out of nowhere - a strong belly laugh that left me breathless, giggly and surprised.  Not meaningless at all.

Paige asked me the other day why I like to teach.  I haven't taught in over two years but for some reason, she brought it up out of the blue.  And all she said was, "I bet you're good at teaching."  I said, "Thanks Paige, I think I'm pretty good at it."  And she said, "You're good at everything."  Of course I cried a little.  It's nice to hear that once in awhile.  Meaningless?  Highly doubtful.  She got me thinking and I truly believe that she spoke a message I was meant to hear from someone else.

Maybe I'm putting too much into thinking about life.  Maybe the don't sweat it, kid stuff is all a bunch of hyperbole that is supposed to get us from one moment to the next without cracking.

Obviously, I don't believe a word of that.  There are very few things I am sure of on any given day.   I am sure of how it feels to love fully, I am sure of how my heart skips when I laugh hard, I am sure that God exists and I am sure that angels sometimes step into the shoes of strangers or friends and give love.  I am sure that life itself is not meaningless at all. 

Though, I suppose it all depends on how you define life itself. If it's about your water bill or the weeds in your front garden, or the dust in your wallet, or even the next step into your future then it is time to get a new dictionary because that ain't life - that's meaningless drivel.

Give love. Show love. Be love. Life.

Peace out.

No comments:

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...