Sunday, July 18, 2010

A Week Long Vacation in the Stratosphere

"...and you know it's really hard to hold your breath.  I swear I lost everything there ever was to fear..."

Okay, I realize that the last post was unlike many of my other posts - it was a creative endeavor to show you all just how much I learned at the writing workshop, and it is a rather funny story.  Consider the line:  My hippie fell down... hard!  That's funny stuff all by itself.  Yet, I realize that my regular readers are breathing a sigh of relief - "phew - her voice is back", you might be saying.

Yes. That is true.  The above quote is true as well.  Up in those mountains, I swear I lost everything there ever was to fear.  Much of the fear came from my doubting my abilities in writing, and what I realized while I was up there was that I didn't care if I was a lousy writer, right now.  I want to be a better writer, of course.  Yet the whole process is such a turn-on.  Dorky.  Sure. I like to write - how it makes me feel when I nail a sentence or a sentiment or a description.

At one point, while I was up there, I had a heavy wave of insecurity hit me upside the head.  I was surrounded by some brilliant writers and I thought, "I can't compete."  Then the voice of my father whispered in my ear:  "Compete only with yourself."  (I actually called him today to thank him).  The truth is, I like writing and I will continue to do so and I will continue to improve.  In the meantime, I will try out different styles on this blog (as I did in the previous post) but I will continue, also, to have the Carrie voice you are used to.  (See?  I just ended a sentence with a preposition!)

And so.... how was the writing workshop, you ask?  On an academic level, I learned a bunch.  It will come into play as I revise and revise my manuscript.  You may even sense some subtle changes to my writing on this blog.

On a visceral level - way down in the gut - I realized that my life is in my own control and being on the mountain, although certainly not so dramatic as to be life-changing, made me realize some things.

I refused to turn my computer on or visit the internet.  The only people that I called were Paige and Tony and that was because I can't breathe very well without their breaths.  I realized that I can survive without the constant bombardment of emails, facebook messages (not that I am that big into facebook) and surfing the web for innocuous information.

So that was good.

Most importantly, I met some people up there that I think I was destined to meet.  (As you know, I don't believe in coincidences).  I met people that needed to speak with me and people that I needed to speak with - even if it was just for those moments of sharing stories.  With some, I shared laughter.  With others, sorrow.  Yet the common thread was that they were genuine.  For that I am grateful because I truly believe that if God made these people, he must really like me too.

I'll end with that thought, and hopefully, will have more to say about it tomorrow. 

No comments:

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...