Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Another Day, Another Dollar, Another Disappointment, Another Desire, Another Dollop

My babies are sick - they both have fevers that tucked them under blankets on the couch all day yesterday.  I changed out movies, made them soup, brought them water to drink and coaxed them into eating popsicles and warm chocolate chip cookies.  They hardly ate anything.  I'm not sure how it happened or why, but I pray that their little bodies are better today.

Kitty hasn't had much better luck.  Obviously a truck cannot get a fever, but she was in rough shape.  I blew a tire on Sunday.  I'll summarize without much detail:  me and the kids were on our way to my friend Bryan's for a pool party/cookout.  The tire blew just around the corner from Bryan's house.  I called him and said, "I need a hero."  Him and Jake, another good friend, showed up strutting their manly stuff.  They set out to get the spare and change the tire - "We're going to show you how easy it is and next time you can do this." 

They couldn't get the spare out from under the truck.  It had two separate, anti-theft locks, and one of them was rusted.  They worked on it for over an hour.   Finally, I told Bryan to go back to his party.  (The kids had already gone ahead with Jessica and her friend Kristy and were probably having a blast).  I'd say 30 seconds after he pulled out and 10 minutes before the tow truck was to arrive, Jake got the spare tire down.  He came up with black hands, and a ruined, sweaty shirt on his back and a "I conquered the world" smile.  After that, I changed the tire. (Did you hear that?  I changed the tire!  Cross that off my bucket list...).

Kitty went to the shop yesterday.  She needed all new tires and an oil change.  In the past year I've probably spent $65,439.54 on getting her fixed.  (Not that much of course, but anything over $500 might as well have been that much).  I'll probably spend another $65,439.54 on her and get her all fixed up and then put her into semi-retirement for the remainder of her life.  She's getting tired. (She drove me nearly 5,000 miles since March).  She's been a champ, but she's going to have to move over for my new vehicle soon.  (New job begins at the end of August - decent money, honey.  Mama deserves a new car).

The entire filter and pump for the pool needed to be replaced yesterday.  (Had the warranty though so no cost to me).

A storm blew through the state on Sunday and I have 54,000 huge tree branches in my front and back yard that need to be picked up.  The electricity was out for an afternoon and night, and sent the dogs into a frenzy.

I finished draft number 2 of novel number 1 and it needs a lot-a lot-alotalotalotalotalot of work - new scenes better ways to say and better transitions than "I stood up". If I were to count how many times that phrase is in there, I'd be counting all day.

I have a blind date on Saturday that I have no desire - not even an inkling of desire - to go on.  (I'm not against men, just freaking dating.  I'd much rather stay home with my book and notepad and write about dating.  At least then I can imagine it to be much less disappointing).

And so on... life is going on.  The kiddies and kitty, the pool and the storm, the dogs and the writing, and disappointing dates...

... the beach tomorrow with my sister-in-law and nieces ...Buffalo in a couple weeks with the entire family for a stuffed pepper recipe contest ...my 20th class reunion

...my babies are awake.  Time for a new day to begin.

No comments:

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...