Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Waves and Waves

In the ocean of life, faith is the anchor of the soul.  I've mentioned this before.  It is on a book mark that my Mom bought me over 15 years ago and it has hung from every rearview mirror of every vehicle I've ever owned.  It is sun-faded, a little tattered on the edges, but golden in its strength.  It's funny because this was the first thing I thought of as I opened my eyes from a very sound sleep this morning.

In the ocean of life, faith is the anchor of the soul.

Man, the ocean gets turbulent sometimes, doesn't it.  It whips you around like you're an ant in a tornado.  Doesn't seem like you have the slightest chance of survival.  And then, magically, it calms and you are left contemplating the most beautiful sunrise you've ever set eyes on.  And oh, the fish that are within it.  Bait and hook, hook and bait all day long.  Not only is fishing entertaining, it feeds you!

In the past three days, I've gotten phone calls out of nowhere for job interviews, for dates and for social events.  I was sitting in turbulent waters, contemplating the weight of that anchor on my shoulders, and whammo, the waters changed, the tide turned and my anchor began drifting like it was a feather on very powerful, breathtaking waves.  What is in store for me?

It feels like there has been a bend in the ocean, that I have moved beyond looking at the horizon and actually am part of it now.  Like the pink and gray backdrop of that horizon line has somehow pulled me into it. I wasn't even trying to get there.  But magically, the phone started ringing.

I have a phone interview this afternoon with a billion dollar corporation doing work that I can do with my eyes closed - writing and negotiating legal contracts.  Yawn.  It does call for some traveling though, so it may not be a winner for me because we all know my number one priority are my babies and traveling kind of works against those priorities.  Unless they mean traveling from my bedroom to my office to finish my work. Wouldn't that be nice?  After I finished setting up that interview, my phone rang again with an opportunity to begin work as a manager for telecommunications for a previous company - this was piggybacked by another potential opportunity. 

All this, after looking for something since January.

I have a date on Thursday with a "nice, Italian boy who has a crazy streak".  Boy, that sounds familiar!  It's a blind date but the age and physical stats sound promising.  It's merely a date and a mere date is all this girl can handle at this point.  I look forward to a couple beers, the niceness and the craziness.  The last thing I want is a relationship, so crazy and nice sounds appealing.

The kids will be going with their dad this afternoon for their vacation.  I will be mapping my drive to the mountains of North Carolina for one of the only things that doesn't weigh my heart down with the thought of being away from them...

Big things bobbing up and down in this ocean.  The next storm awaits - boy, does it await - but I'll just grab onto my anchor and wait for it to pass.

No comments:

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...