Sunday, April 19, 2009

Been Good to Me So Far

Despite the rolling pains in my belly, it was a beautiful weekend. Tony has more energy than any one child should have. He keeps me on my toes, between running out the front door with no shoes and returning with a flower for me, to pulling his pants down to his ankles so that he can pee off the back deck, to wrapping his arms around me and saying "I love you. Baby." Yesterday, I sat on my neighbors porch and sipped a Bud Light, and watched Tony drive his hand-me-down motorcycle. When the battery was depleted, he got his Lightning McQueen car. When that battery was depleted, he pulled out the John Deere tractor he used to drive around when he was two. His knees were over the steering wheel and he moved about as fast as a turtle, chugging his way to the neighbors' house. After that, he got in Paige's cute little Ford F-150 and drove around. My driveway was filled with these toy trucks, and not one of them had any juice in the batteries left. This lasted about two hours. Paige, in the meantime, was making experiments with her friend MacKenzie, who happens to be just two months older, and lives right next door. How awesome is that?

The sun was shining, the birds were singing, and my lawn mower is trashed. Flat tires, no battery... so, I didn't have to mow. I told my neighbors that I was going to see if I could be the hick neighbor and have a field. Without missing a beat, my neighbor said, "Let's have a competition. I'll let my lawn grow too." Nah, I can't do that. I truly look forward to mowing the lawn this summer. I know it will be sunshine, Springsteen in my ear and a whole lot of good thoughts. It is simply impossible to stay down when the sun is shining like it has been.

"Let the beauty of what you love, be what you do." I watched Tony doing what he loved. I watched Paige doing what she loved. And it was beautiful. And that is why sitting on the porch, drinking a beer with my friends and watching them is what I did.

Life really is good when you open your eyes to see it.

No comments:

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...