Sunday, January 18, 2009

Swingin' My Hammer

The kids are sitting at the kitchen table performing creative arts. Tony is painting watercolors - a sun, a big purple bush and lots of black swirls that are apparently trains. Paige, on the other hand, is scratching and erasing, scratching and erasing, growing frustrated because she cannot perfect the sketch of her Power Rangers character. (She drew a car yesterday that was simply perfect - I was amazed). We've spent quite some time this weekend playing games - board games and Wii (with friends). The attitude of both children is rather sour. When they win, they rub it in. When they lose, they cry. And so we've talked a lot about what it means to support those on your team, and what it means to give high fives regardless of who wins. It's tough because the ego always wants to win!

We talked about Martin Luther King and what a phenomenal contribution he made to the civil rights movement, and how his vision shaped America. Borack Obama has become a common word in our household as well, and they are very aware of my feelings for George W, even though they're daddy disagrees. I taught them that it is okay to have a difference of opinion just so long as they remain open to the ideas of others because there is always something to be learned.

Both kids were under the weather, and Paige feeling lousy asked that I say a prayer to God that it would all go away. So I said, "Dear God, Paige feels lousy right now, but thank You for all those days when she feels healthy; and thank You for blessing all of us with great health and prosperity." She was a bit confused by the prayer, thinking that I was going to beg him to take the suffering away. Yet after I explained the concept of moving through the dark and being grateful for what we did have, she said, "Oh yeah, perseverance." Yup.

We talked about friends and family. We talked about how much Mommy misses seeing her parents and siblings; about how her Hommy is a fantastic cook and taught me a ton; about how Papa's spaghetti sauce is perfect; about how their teachers are amazing; about their friends, and about the weather, the universe and heaven. All these discussions lent to me a moment of teaching - and to them, an opportunity to learn.

And I've learned too. Shaping, molding and sculpting - using those "bad" moments to teach values. And this song sums up my weekend (which, by the way, they know by heart):

WORKING ON A DREAM© Bruce Springsteen


Out here the nights are long, the days are lonely
I think of you and I'm working on a dream
I'm working on a dream

Now the cards I've drawn's a rough hand, darling
I straighten my back and I'm working on a dream
I'm working on a dream

I'm working on a dream
Though sometimes it feels so far away
I'm working on a dream
I know it will be mine someday

Rain pourin' down, I swing my hammer
My hands are rough from working on a dream
From working on a dream

I'm working on a dream
Though trouble can feel like it's here to stay
I'm working on a dream
Our love will chase the trouble away

[whistling interlude]

I'm working on a dream
Though it can feel so far away
I'm working on a dream
And our love will make it real someday

The sunrise come, I climb the ladder
The new day breaks and I'm working on a dream
I'm working on a dream
I'm working on a dream
I'm working on a dream

I'm working on a dream
Though it can feel so far away
I'm working on a dream
And our love will make it real someday
I'm working on a dream
Though it can feel so far away
I'm working on a dream
And our love will make it real someday

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing, huh? Sunrise come and I climb the ladder is my railing cry in the days when I need to visit sites and my old body doesn't want to climb - I've heard a lot of the rest of the album and it's like he had a first row seat to your heartache and subsequent rise.

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...