Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I Just Wanna Feel Some Rhythm

With Eyes Fixed on the Horizon and God's Grace Upon Us:

What an opportunity today was. What an historical and opportunistic day! Borack's entire speech as about HOPE. Hope. It was about virtues and values and keeping things on track inside so that America can move forward in its' power with a reminder of all of its' strengths. We live in the best place in the world. Maybe the obesity in our country is indicative of a sliding slope; perhaps the quest for something better (newer cars, newer wives, newer stories of individual glory), is indicative of an increasing greed; perhaps the violence and disastrous fiscal actions of a few are indicative of demise; but I don't think so.

I believe there are more good people than bad people; more compassionate people than ego-driven people; more hopeful people than cynical people; and more confident people than afraid people.

Is today the day we choose hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord? Is today the day we proclaim an end to petty grievances and false promises? The first African-American president of the United States said it was so, and he followed it up with words from Scripture.

I was touched the words, the lump lodging and dislodging in my throat as I thought about the enormity of today.

I don't know if all the promises will come true; I don't know if all the aspirations are possible with any expediency, but I do know what it's like to walk through darkness and into light. I've done it. I've read about it in the history books too.

By far, my favorite line in his speech was this (and I will paraphrase with a purpose): To those who seek to sow conflict or blame others - know that your people (children, family members) will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy.

Destroyed a marriage lately? Destroyed your own or someone else's career? Destroyed the livelihood of someone by stealing, cheating and lying?

The message was about humanity - and how each individual is responsible for the greater good. It begins with your family and friends, extends to your community, your state, your country, your earth, your world, your universe. It extends to God's gracious hands.

In the wise words of Bruce, I leave you with a question: "Is there anybody alive out there?"

Our pulses are part of the rhythm: "I just wanna feel some rhythm."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

there is no apostrophe in the possessive of it -- just its, that is all. the dog buried its bone, not its'

just thought you should know

Carrie Lynn Fazzolari said...

There was another error in this post too. Think you can find it?

I've always gotten its and its' confused - it's a problem of mine, one of the very few... :-) I'll be aware of it from here on in though. Thanks.

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...