Tuesday, January 3, 2023

How's Damar?

I never loved football.  I watched the Bills lose four Super Bowls in a row.  For one of them, I watched my brother throw a chair at a TV we'd rented for a Super Bowl party at the American Legion in North Collins.  He's since curbed his anger, I think. Maybe not in golf though.

For a while, I just stopped watching unless the Bills were on.  I recall the Bills playing Dallas one year when I was in my first marriage, and the game was on.  I promptly fell asleep, but woke to watch the Bills make a play and take the game. "Go Bills", I said.  My ex-husband was so mad - "They were losing the whole game!"

It's just what Bills fans do. Go Bills!  

For the past four years, I can't get enough of watching them and texting my friends "Woot! Woot!" when they make an unbelievable play.  Did you see the touchdown where Josh Allen basically jumped over a guy to get in the end zone?  Freaking awesome.

Last night's game was much different. I made Buffalo wings for dinner, and waited impatiently for the game to start, texting my friends to see if they were as psyched as I was.  They were.

Then Damar Hamlin got hit and went down. Everything stopped.  For me, for my friends - "This is scary and so sad."  Then we see Josh Allen's face, and the rest of the Bills players' faces; and the Bengals players' faces... "This is bad." Social media blew up. The announcers sat stunned. I cried.

Of course, millions of others cried and worried along with me.  The game was suspended. Okay. How's Damar? Time went by. "How's Damar?" The game was postponed. Good. How's Damar?  How many people am I echoing?

Then to watch the spirits soar, the goodness of mankind go at it and tackle it.  Prayers. Donations. Bengals fans and Bills fans holding hands and praying. Together.  Every NFL team commenting and sending goodness.

Politics wasn't part of the playing field. How's Damar?

Racism and hatred was thrown out.  How's Damar?

Please be well.


1 comment:

Cor Leone said...

Loved that! Well said.

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...