Sunday, January 15, 2023

Songwriters: Lan O'kun / Irwin Stan: That's What God Looks Like




 I took a long walk this morning, letting Dovi sniff his way around the pond behind the house, and into a smaller neighborhood.  It was cold and I made a fist and pulled down my sleeves to hide my fingers from the frigid air.

The sky was cloudy, but as it is nearly every day, it was beautiful.

How high is the sky, what makes it so blue? And tell me Dad, what does God look like to you?

There are days when I look up to the sky and these are the questions that roll through my brain. It's from a song Sinatra sang, "That's What God Looks Like". It's quite beautiful and credit for it goes to the Subject of this post.  

Sinatra's buttery voice answers his son.

He looks like a rainbow, just after the rain
He's as golden as wheat dancing over the plain
He looks like a star when the night's crystal clear
He looks like a baby when mother is near
 

As the tears start to form from that last line, Sinatra continues:

His face is the moonlight reflected on snow
His hair like a garden where all flowers grow
His heavenly eyes are as true as the sea
My son, that's what God really looks like

Sometimes I just need to hear that voice, to hear my father singing it and telling us, "Just listen." Sometimes I hear it when I don't even know I need it, and thinking about it makes me nostalgic for the past.

His heart like a mountain so vast and so strong
That's why all his children have room to belong
His smile is the morning we waken to see

Since Paige and Tony were little, I'd play this and watch them across the room, or in my rearview mirror to see their faces change with the last line. To this day, I'm not sure if it's the way Sinatra ends the song - holding the note until it touches your heart; if it's the sentiment in the last sentence; or if it's my tears that change the look on their faces, but their faces are seared into my memory.

But you, my child, you are what God really looks like to me....


Songwriters: Lan O'kun / Irwin Stan 

No comments:

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...