Sunday, February 26, 2012

Another Week - - - Poof!

Another week has passed.  In this week, I did not stop to consider anything. Between the heavy burdens of work and the busy schedule with the kids, time just passed.  Time that is gone; that I cannot have back; that I contained no memories for longevity beyond knowing that in the third week of February, 2012, I was busy - - - too busy to enjoy the fact that I am alive, and healthy and blessed with two beautiful children.

Isn't this the way?  Isn't this how it is supposed to be done when you're on the cusp of 40 years old?  You work to put money in the bank.  Money that you're too busy to spend. 

Is this the way I want to live my life?  Barely able to keep my eyes open past 9pm?  Barely able to keep them closed beyond 5am? 

Here it is: Sunday night.  Another weekend of catching up with work; another weekend of running errands; another weekend of nothing much else.

Except for the basketball game that I coached - - - where the team scored 16 points, and the skies aligned and brightened after each child made a basket; the way it felt to get a high-five, and a "great job, Coach" after the game; the way Paige and Tony ran, sweating and out of breath, and became sad when I had to put in a substitute for them so that every child could feel the glow. . .

Yeah, except for that.

And except for last night - - - sharing a bottle of wine with a friend and watching a chick flick, interspersed with girl talk and amusing stories.

Oh, and except for church today - - - where the little blonde girl, when I said, "Peace be with you", again shook my hand heartily and said, "Pleased to meet you."  (I try to sit near her when I can). And how, every week, I sit next to the same woman, and today I said, "I feel like I need to know your name since we spend every week together," and she nodded, told me her name, and said, "It's nice to have a companion here," and just like that, we became friends.  And how the woman behind me had a voice that could spin gold.  Yeah, that was nice.

I guess weekends are for this kind of stuff, and the busy week is just that - - - a busy week.

Yet, tonight, I dread Monday.

Yet, tonight, I am one day closer to seeing Paige and Tony who have been with their dad this weekend.  Basketball is nice for this reason; and so is church on Sundays - - - because I get to see them for a few hours, even when they are away for the weekend. . .  So, that's good.

I'm trying real hard to count the blessings tonight.  I am going to pray real hard that more are forthcoming - - - in the way of greater friendships, a loving companion, and more time to listen to voices that can spin gold.

Which reminds me, Bruce's new CD comes out in a week! 

Hope this week goes by quickly.

No comments:

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...