Friday, February 10, 2012

Do What You Love

Despite having to travel for work and leaving my kids for a night, the outcome was good.  The day was productive, I got to know a few people via face-to-face communication instead of email or phone; and things got accomplished.

Despite the horrendous traffic as I tried to avert the D.C. idiots on my way home, I had some great phone conversations, some great music and some great thoughts to keep me in good company.

Despite the idea of being away from the kids for the weekend. . .

I got home and greeted a frisky Gracie (who was limping so badly over the past few weeks that she's on a diet of prednisone, pain pills, cocaine, marijuana, vodka shooters and tequila snifters), patted the once-again little bastard on the head - - - a head that was two inches from my own since he will not stay down! - - and decided to spend the rest of this rather good day doing what I love to do. 

(As an aside, and a by the way, Enzo is a little bastard again because he ate $80 worth of Gracie's pain pills, threw them all up, and when the housesitter, Jessica, called me (while I was in Buffalo) in a panic to ask what she should do, I told her I'd call the vet and find out.  My brother Jim happened to be in the room, and said, "Tell her she needs to stick her thumb up his ass, give him mouth-to-mouth and see if his eyes change. . ." So when I called her back, I said, "Jess, I am sooooooo sorry, but the doctor said you need to cover your pointer finger with latex and. . ." I coughed because I was ready to crack up laughing,  ". . .and stick your finger up his ass. . ." 
"No?  Really?"  She asked.  In a rush of words, I finished Jim's instructions.
"You're all so f---ed up! I was actually crying." She said.)

What do I love to do, you ask? 

Read: So I opened up the obsessively-compusively-ordered box of books I ordered from Barnes & Noble with my new gift cards.  I pulled out three Pat Conroy books (Cliff, did you know he wrote Prince of Tides? - which I read and loved many years ago), a book for Paige titled "Big Book of Questions and Answers" (and thumbed through it to discover that Lightning Bugs (also called Fireflies) communicate by their lights - mating calls, identification of the clan or family they come from, and of course, warning to other fireflies), and a book for Tony about puppies because he is obsessed with dogs! 

Paige and Tony: I called them to let them know.   Also said a prayer to the heavens, and asked for a hedge of protection around them (as I do every single day) and gave thanks.

Music:  Listened to Bruce's new single, realized I was humming a Rolling Stones tune, and have been listening to Mick Jagger ever since.

Writing:  Doing now: working words and thoughts, sentences and thoughts into coherence - - - my mind does not stop.

Food:  Used my "VIP" card at Kaufmann's and bought myself a Queen cut prime rib, salad, potato and vegetable to have with. . .

Blue Cheese Stuffed Martini: delish.

Exercise:  Beast of Burden cannot dance to itself now, can it?

Sleep:  That's the plan as soon as I sign off this post.

My job:  Been there, done that today.

Parents/Siblings:  75%-90% of my everyday is spent thinking about/praying for them, so I think I have the love part covered there. "I've been hauling ass so long; I've been sleeping all alone, Lord, I miss you."  (Thanks to the Stones on this one!)

It's fun to do what you love, even if it's only for a couple hours.

Try it.

And now it's time to sing some Rolling Stones, Happy~~~

Well I never kept a dollar past sunset,
It always burned a hole in my pants.

Never made a school mama happy,
Never blew a second chance, oh no


I need a love to keep me happy,
I need a love to keep me happy.
Baby, baby keep me happy.
Baby, baby keep me happy

La-la-la-la-la-la-la. . .

1 comment:

Cliffordfc@adelphia.net said...

Yes...read Prince of Tides. Reading Beach Music now. Happy is an awesome song. I'm up early and ready for chapter 8...I set aside Saturday morning for writing and can't wait to get to it!!! Schedule the happy time...it makes the mundane easier to navigate

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...