Sunday, February 12, 2012

Books. Oh, Glorious Books!

Brilliance.

Authors are brilliant.  Brilliant minds.  Brilliant abilities.  Brilliant discoveries and attention to details that is breathtaking.

That's what a good author can do.

I've read thousands of books - thousands!  When I finish one that takes my breath away - that makes me laugh and cry; that makes me consider the thought:  "Humanity and the human condition should actually be defined as inhumanity," and I get in the context that it is written, and can apply to the demise of some of the world in which we live, I am taken away. 

When I read great writing, I am equally frightened,  and inspired to live my dream and write for the whole world to see.

I just finished a book by Pat Conroy South of Broad; and I just finished another "sneak preview" chapter of a book that my brother, Cliff is writing. 

Equally inspiring authors. 

I am blown away with words.  Words that stand alone have no meaning unless the reader of the word can relate.  For instance, love.  The only reason that it is such a powerful word is because people have felt its powerful, surging insistence on recognition.  A table is a table.  But love.  Oh, it's love.

I am enamored by people that can tell a story - - - that can walk into a room and have the attention of every person in that room.  I am enamored by people that write.  I am enamored by people that read.  I am enamored by my neighbor who texts me and says, "I have a book that you need to read." 

Enamored is a pretty nice word.  Never knew what it meant until I could feel it.

In the context of my life - - - a life that has been utterly heartbreaking and incredibly joyful - - - I am intrigued by two sentences in the closing paragraph of the book I just read by Pat Conroy: 

We know better than anyone the immense, unanswerable powers of fate, and how one day can shift the course of ten thousand lives.  Fate can catapult them into lives they were never meant to lead until they stumbled into that one immortal day.

So many immortal days for me:  the day I met my ex-husband;  the day I found out I was pregnant; the day I decided to go to law school; the days I gave birth to Paige and Tony;  the day my brother died;  the day my father died; the day I decided that love was more powerful than anything in the world, and began to live in accordance with that knowledge.

I love reading because I love re-learning what I already know to be true.

Paige just asked me what "Enamored" means.  I turned to her and said, "You are the most beautiful girl that I have ever had the pleasure of knowing and I love you."

"Yeah, but what does it mean?"

"That's what it means."  I answered.

"Oh, I get it."

Yep, she sure does.

No comments:

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...