Friday, August 20, 2010

Got Through Another Day

I took a little breather from the confusion yesterday; still unbelievably tired, but had to go to a job interview and wow the interviewers.  As I walked into the interview, I heard my brother's eulogy, in particular, be a Fuzzy. We went through the usual rigamarole, going through my resume, asking about my experience, who I knew in the industry, why they should hire me.  It wasn't bad at all.  I answered honestly and thought that was the best way to approach it.  Some of the questions caught me off guard, like "What was your most difficult experience with a project and how did you overcome it?"  My initial thought was:  "It's just a job, how difficult can any of it be?  I mean, I don't save people's lives or anything, I just help to get cell towers leased and built."  Then I answered the question:  "Have had to dealt with some seriously clueless people in the D.C. government offices on several occasions and I overcame it by trying to negotiate my way through the clueless and find the person who had a clue and speak with them kindly and intelligently."  It's easy.

After the work questions, another guy, working as a recruiter asked me personal questions to get to know my personality.  Here were some of them, and my answers:

"What did you do before coming to this interview?"

"I chased my four month old doberman through the house in high heels so that I could get him into the mudroom to stay while I was gone."

"Would you choose more money or more vacation?"

"Vacation."

"What are you most proud of, other than work accomplishments?"

"My kids - they're smart, funny and kind.  All me."

"What is the greatest personality attribute any one person can have on a job?"

"Humility.  It's how you learn and pride only gets in the way."

"What is your motto when it comes to work?"

And here we go, Fuzzy all the way:  "If someone gives you a job to do, always do more than what is expected."

"Why should we give you this job?"

"Because I'm good at what I do; because you called me based on a recommendation from someone else; and because if you ask anyone in the small telecommunications community, all good things will be said."

There is a difference between truth and humility.  I don't think I came off as pompous, just confident.

After the interview, I cleaned the house, played with the dogs, called my mother, ordered Chinese with a friend and watched a movie.

And I realized that life, although spinning wildly and out of whack, is still spinning with me on it.  And I also realized that life is not fair, that there is no rhyme or reason of which I have the capacity to be aware, and that if I think I've had my share of bad breaks and expect to finally meet something good because of it, I am sadly mistaken.  Again, no illusions allowed here.  Today, I can handle this truth.

4 comments:

Cindy Lehnortt said...

Go Carrie!

Carrie Lynn Fazzolari said...

Cindy,

I've been meaning to say thank you for all your support and for reading this blog. The comments really help, more than you can even imagine, and I have you and Tracey in my prayers. She'll get through her troubles and certainly come out on top. My mom says hi, by the way.

Carrie

FrauPam2 said...

Carrie....Em and I are hoping that we can snag you for OUR project!! They will definitely need more help. Would be so cool to work with you again.
Pam

Carrie Lynn Fazzolari said...

Oh Pam, that might be trouble! But it would sure be a lot of laughs too... I'm still looking, interviewing here and there and everywhere - keep me in mind if something opens up. Which project is it? Clearwire?

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...