Sunday, February 10, 2008

RigaTONY and PAIGEYmeatballs

Ice-skating 2:

The rink was filled with smiling people, as it always is. People who choose to spend time ice-skating on a Sunday afternoon, with or without their kids, seem to have a sunny disposition. I am included in this category. I was dreading going since the morning began at 6:00am with two giggling children who had somehow snuck into my bed during the night without my being aware. I gave them both a kiss, turned on Blues Clues, brushed my teeth and then shuffled downstairs to enjoy a cup of coffee in silence before the breakfast demands began (Tony is now eating up to 3 bowls of cereal). They, of course, left Blue to hide his clues without an audience and followed me downstairs. It may have been my tiredness, but I swear they were skipping and singing. We did our morning thing, and then I put them back upstairs to tear my room apart while I showered, skipping the shampoo (conditioner only) and leaving the shaving of the legs for another day (it's been about 6 months now. Just kidding).

We were out the door for church by 9:00am. After church, in which I heard very little of the readings, but fortunately caught 6 seconds of the homily, we went to the grocery store. The grocery store was packed with meandering people, dressed in heals, coiffed hair and with a great deal of time on their hands. We sped through the aisles, and just had to get home so Tony could have another bowl of the newest cereal we chose (Pops). Incidentally, he had two bowls, an apple, some crackers and a few pretzels.

I began cutting up the onions for the sauce while Paige situated her stool by the stove and poured in the olive oil to sauté the garlic and onions. She pulled out the Oregano, Basil, Parsley, Lemon-pepper Spice, and Pepper (we, of course, put the Lemon-pepper spice back). She poured all the spices in under close supervision, and Tony pulled up his stool, grabbed the second wooden spoon and started stirring as I poured the tomatoes in. I grabbed my camera and started shooting pictures - they were eating off the spoons, saying "Mmmmmm..." while the sauce was still cold! About thirty seconds after everything was in, including the meatballs, Tony said in his sing-song voice, "It's d-o-o-one!" Let's eat, mommy."

By that time, I was worn out. I left out the pushing, pulling, biting and whining that went on between each event. It was time for ice-skating, but I was too tired. My back was killing me, and I just wanted to sit on the sofa while they argued and smell the sauce cooking. Then my cousin called and said "everyone" was meeting us there. So I had to go. And I'm so glad I did!

There were five adults and my two babies. This was only their second time, but they did so well. Neither of them fell (or cried, or whined) and they both skated the entire hour without complaint. There were kids wearing bike helmets, padding, etc., but Paige and Tony didn't even need it. They were surrounded by protective cousins (and friends). After the hour was up, I had to urge them off the ice by enticing them with hot chocolate. We walked into the "cafeteria" past a bunch of families, and ordered our hot chocolates.

The highlight of the day came when on our way to the table, Tony raced ahead and smacked some kid's hockey helmet as hard as he could. Unfortunately, the kid was still wearing it. I was shocked, but the kid just turned around, a little annoyed and said nothing. I apologized to the mother, she giggled and my cousin said, "He's truly a Fuzzy... the legend lives on." The lowlight, of course, was when I had to throw out a pair of Tony's big boy undies because he refused to use the potty, and instead, pushed one out while he was eating a cookie, and then told me about it later.

We came home, put on the water, boiled the "RigaTONY" and the "PAIGEY-meatballs" (they made it up and said it all day long...), and ate the best damn sauce I've ever had part in making. Life is good. My full belly and my overflowing heart tell me it is so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, okay. This is the 2nd skating date with John....I am expecting my call any day now. Waiting not so patiently over here.....

Aim

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...