Monday, October 17, 2011

Sleepy Time

We were all treated to a beautiful autumn weekend in Maryland.  The leaves just started to turn those gorgeous reds and golds, but it was still warm enough outside to enjoy the sun shining down from clear, blue skies.  I felt fortunate to be able to share this weekend with Paige and Tony, who rode around on their bikes (Paige took the training wheels off, finally.  I had been trying to coax her for the past year), and scooters, shooting hoops and chasing all the dogs around the neighborhood.  It was a happy weekend, and every night, the three of us fell into our beds, exhausted.

Yesterday morning, I got a text from a friend of mine.  "You missed a great time last night.  I am just getting home."  It was 7:24 in the morning!  I was just getting up for the day.  There was a part of me that was envious because I am sure that whatever had gone on the night before was filled with laughter and fun times.  Yet, there was a bigger part of me that was so happy that I had been sound asleep by 10pm.  I couldn't imagine functioning the next day.

Then, my brother comes strolling in the house.  I thought he had been up early and was just coming back from  a trip to the grocery store, but no, he was whistling and laughing.  "You missed a good time last night."  He had been hanging at the same place as my texting friend.  So I heard some of the funny stories, and looking at my brother, I was doubly happy that I was in bed at 10pm.  He was whipped.  But did it stop him from covering my pool with my cousin, Larry?  Did it stop him from running his laundry, and making a pot of sauce big enough to feed the entire Ravens team?  Nope. He functioned.  I have no idea how, but he did.  I was tired just watching him, and while the kids rode around the neighborhood, I sat on the front porch and dozed in the sunshine like a cat.

Sleep.

I love to sleep.

Last night, at 8:30, me and the kids were cuddled up on the couch, watching Spongebob.  My eyes were drooping, and when I looked over at them, they were half-asleep.  Despite Patrick's idiocy, the kids and I weren't all that into it.  I turned the tv off, and without complaint, they slipped under their sheets, and were out within minutes.

Sleep.

I awoke this morning to the little bastard Enzo slobbering all over himself, and found Tony beside me, wide awake, staring at the ceiling. 

"What are you doing?"

"Waiting for you to wake up."

"I'm up."

"Good.  Can I ride my scooter?"

If the weather remains the same, we will go for another walk after dinner, and we will sleep soundly again.

I'm happy to be with them, alive, well-loved, and well-rested.

No comments:

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...