Friday, September 17, 2010

Look up

The sun has not yet risen; there is a soft, faint blanket of darkness hovering over the quiet house, and the only puncturing sound is the rhythm of my fingers punching this keyboard.  It doesn't fit with the quiet cricket, the hum of the house, the sighs of both dogs as they lay on the couch beside my desk. 

I've been awake for awhile now, breathing in the morning.  I walked outside with the dogs and looked up.  I immediately thought of my brother Jeff telling my brother Cliff that people should look up more.  I took in all the beauty of the sky and allowed it to fill my lungs.  I said a prayer for my family.  I nodded to my dad and smiled, grateful that I know he's up there, sharing it with me.

The coffee is steaming beside me, that first sip warm against my lips and tongue and there is quiet.  The quiet warmth of safety and tranquility as the kids sleep soundly, comfortably upstairs.

This morning, as it does every day, the dawn will come and a new day will begin.  This morning, I am fully aware that it is happening as I write.  This morning I am not taking it for granted like I do 90% of the time.  This morning it feels like a gift; a wonderful gift.  Despite the peace that it brings, I am also fully aware that it just may be the best part of my day, the only part of my day that I truly appreciate because the swirls and drops, speed and twists of the universe bring surprises, day after day, surprises.  Some are big, some are small, some are faint and some are obvious. 

And that is life.

People should look up more.

No comments:

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...