Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Climb

Who'd a thought that Hannah Montana (aka Miley Cyrus) sang my theme song? I have to admit that I learned this song through a good friend of mine, Mike Butler, who sings at Kaufmann's nearly every weekend (google his name, man he's talented); got to to know the words, and finally asked him who sang the original.  He looked at me sheepishly, cringed a little and said, "Miley Cyrus". 

It's a phenomenal song.

The past few weeks have been crazy.  I got back from a miserable time in Buffalo, the kids began school, the job I had lined up fell through and I went on a third date with someone that turned into a fourth date, then a fifth date and crap, gulp, yikes, a sixth is planned.  Life is just continually in motion and I'm on the ride and it wants me to enjoy the ride, I know that; and I'm trying.

As I was pulling out of my parent's driveway a couple weeks ago, this song was on the radio.  It was the first time I heard Miley Cyrus' version of it (it's not as good as Butler's) and it made me cry because damn it, there's always gonna be an uphill battle, always.

And you know what?  I'm having fun dating; I'm having fun making daily snacks for the kids when they get off the bus; and I'm having fun fantasizing about the job I will have soon... that's what it's about; enjoying the climb.

I'll hand it over to the lyrics now:

The Climb


I can almost see it
That dream I am dreaming
But there's a voice inside my head saying
"You'll never reach it"


Every step I'm taking
Every move I make feels
Lost with no direction
My faith is shaking


But I gotta keep trying
Gotta keep my head held high
There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move


Always gonna be a uphill battle
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side


It's the climb
The struggles I'm facing
The chances I'm taking
Sometimes might knock me down
But no, I'm not breaking


I may not know it
But these are the moments that
I'm gonna remember most, yeah
Just gotta keep going


And I, I got to be strong
Just keep pushing on
'Cause there's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move


Always gonna be a uphill battle
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side


There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
Always gonna be an uphill battle
Somebody's gonna have to lose


Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb, yeah.

Keep on moving, keep climbing
Keep the faith, baby
It's all about, it's all about the climb
Keep the faith, keep your faith, whoa

Songwriters: Alexander, J; Mabe, J;

5 comments:

Cindy Lehnortt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cindy Lehnortt said...

I googled Mike Butler, but couldn't figure out which one he was. Is there any way to narrow it down? Deleted last post because of a typo.

Carrie Lynn Fazzolari said...

Yes Cindy, sorry. He has a local hit song called Choptank Riverboys, with a great Youtube video that "stars" a few of my friends... he's our local celebrity. His cd is awesome too.

Cindy Lehnortt said...

Thanks Carrie, I will check it out!

Aimee said...

"The struggles I'm facing
The chances I'm taking
Sometimes might knock me down
But no, I'm not breaking."

It's amazing how one little verse can change things. I often listened to this song on my way home from work after the split because it had just come out and was being played every 10 seconds, but that verse always gave me a little more strength and courage to just keep going and not second guess my decisions. Great lyrics all the way through!

Love you, Carrie Lynn! <3

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...