Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Roll the Tapes

Right now it is nearly sixty degrees outside; the winds are soft against my skin as I sip my coffee and wait for Gracie to finish her business. I keep glancing at the bright pink sky, airbrushed today - the backdrop of a huge poplar tree standing tall above all the surrounding trees. I tried to take a picture but alas, the batteries in my camera are dead. I am sitting here thinking about my day ahead. The morning routine wears me out by 9am - the kids are reluctant to go to school in the mornings, they'd rather spend their day with mommy, playing with all their toys and pretending to be the "mommy and daddy" all day. Ironically, they get along their best when they're in those roles.

As I look at the sky, I feel my body relax. It's Tuesday and I am tired again. It would be nice if I could sit on this deck the entire day and listen to the children laugh as they play on their swing set or discover the various types of leaves that I shall never rake. But in five minutes, I have to guzzle the last of my coffee and head up for the showers, pleading with the sleeping gods to keep the veil over the kids' eyes for the ten minutes it takes to rinse, wash and rinse again. I've only been awake 30 minutes, and I want to close my eyes for another eight hours. Tired.

In come the geese. I just spent the last two minutes watching nearly a hundred geese in various V formations fly over my head, cackling, crowing, tweeting (whatever it is they do) as they head for their destination. As if the brilliant pink sky wasn't enough! I can just imagine God saying, "Okay, are the geese ready? Now wait, she's looking up, okay, let the geese go. And... action!" Then suddenly, they are at the forefront, the poplar still stands tall and the pink illuminates their fluttering wings - their cackles an alarm clock that wakes me up. My thoughts are no longer on the chores I'll face this magnificent Tuesday morning and afternoon - they're on absolutely nothing. The sky is gorgeous, the temperature is perfect, my coffee tastes great, the birds are singing and Gracie has finished her job.

In comes the gratitude. And... action! Thank You.

No comments:

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...