Thursday, May 15, 2008

Spring Has Sprung!


Jake, a great friend and I took the kids to see the Cherry Blossoms in D.C. yesterday. Stepping out from the darkness of the Metro tunnel and onto the sidewalk of the Capital Mall, I was hit with the smell of Spring - clean, fresh, crisp. The swarms and swarms of people were ignored because the blue sky and bright clouds were welcoming kite flyers - Dora, Diego, Lightning McQueen, butterflies and lady bugs adorned the skies. When we walked toward the Monument, the American flags were dancing, and more kites adorned the sky. I was looking up, holding the hands of my two beautiful children - ready to skip because the world seem so aware of my need for newness, and cleanliness and the need to fly like those kites - free and breezy.

Pulling into the driveway, I noticed that the Daffodils had bloomed, and the purple and white Crocuses I planted last year were beginning to sprout. Paige and Tony also discovered the Daffodils. They are now are sitting in a vase on my kitchen table. I also noticed the brown leaves from fall that, if I had a working leaf blower, would be somewhere else. Looking at the mess of my front yard, I am excited and eager to begin making it look like a home again - a welcoming, summer site! Up until last year, my thumb was black, but after one weekend of pulling leaves, throwing down dirt and planting flowers, my thumbs started dancing, shaking off the black, and now they are just a light brown, but they're getting there and by the end of summer they'll be a pale green, I am sure of it! And the day I purchase my very own leaf blower is going to be a day I'll always remember because of all the things that I could possibly buy with any spare money I have lying around, it is what I most want. And it's going to be good, powerful and useful, and I will put shield glasses on and a hockey mask and pretend I am Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation coming out of his garage and pulling the string on his chainsaw. My neighbors will love it!

Speaking of neighbors, I have one that has a little yappy dog that, about twice a week, comes over to the house and poops on my driveway. The other day I saw it wander over and I tried to get Gracie to bark at it. I pointed out the window, and Gracie got her nose against the glass and started sniffing it. I said, "No, outside, out the window!" and pointed. She looked around. In the meantime, the yappy dog is dropping his pants on my driveway. So I opened the window and started barking for Gracie. The dog looked at me like I was nuts. I said, "beat it!" and the dog continued. Finally, finally, Gracie saw her and barked. By that time, the dog was done. So I shook my head, and barked in Gracie's face again. She clawed me down the arm, thinking I was playing.

In any case, spring has sprung... dog poop and all. I can't blow the poop from my driveway, but I can blow that little dog across the lawn. Can't wait!

No comments:

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...