Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Ice Skating

I took Paige and Tony ice skating this Sunday. I haven't been on ice skates since I was 17 and that was the first time. So, I was really excited... yeah right. My cousin John - he's a hockey player - met us there. He took Tony and I was in charge of Paige. She did well. She held onto the wall and walked, but every once in a while, we'd be talking and she'd forget she was afraid and she'd skate by herself. What I liked the most about it was that the rink was so big and we skated the entire thing, talking. We talked about school, about the dogs, about how funny Tony is, and about going ice skating every other weekend until she's got a hockey stick in her hands and is shooting pucks. Then she saw John skate by with Tony, and wanted nothing to do with me!

So, I took Tony while John held Paige's hands and twirled her around. Tony and I lasted about 30 seconds before we were both on our butts. He cried so hard, and I felt so bad. But we got back up and made it another 30 seconds... I'm not such a good skater. He fell on his butt again and said, "I'm done Mommy!" John convinced him to keep skating (bribing him with a hot chocolate) but after he fell the third time he said, "I need more hands!" He promised to keep trying, so we're on for two weeks from now.

The cool thing about it was that Paige said, "Now this is perseverance, right? We have to keep trying and it'll get better?" And I gave her a big hug and said, "Right on!" Perseverance: keep going and it'll get better.

No comments:

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...