Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Day is a Day

A man walks down the street, he says why am I soft in the middle now?
Why am I soft in the middle? The rest of my life is so hard.


This is the first line from a song by Paul Simon called 'You can call me Al'. I laughed when I heard it. Why am I soft in the middle? The rest of my life is so hard.

I picture this balding man, a beer belly, a sloppy outfit and an unhappy demeanor, and he's thinking everything is wrong in my life, and I'm fat too! It's not fair. Life is not fair!

How many people have heard this statement? How many have said it?

I've also heard the statement, attitude is everything. I believe this much more than I believe life is not fair.

I heard in a cartoon that my children watch every day. The show is called "Little Bear." And in one episode, little bear wakes up, jumps out of bed and steps on his toy wooden ship, breaking it. When he reaches down to pick it up, he smacks his head on the bed frame and says, "ouch!" We see him going through little things like this throughout the morning. His mother kicks him outside because he is knocking into everything and is just miserable. He meets up with his friend the frog and the frog asks him to climb over a log and across the stream to sit down next to him. Little bear says, "I'd better not, I'm having a bad day." And the frog says, "Days aren't bad. A day is just a day."

Why am I soft in the middle now? The rest of my life is so hard. Life is not hard. Life is just life.

No comments:

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...