Sunday, April 5, 2020

Break Out


I must flee from this quarantine funk. I’ve spent the last three weeks making impressions on my sofa… and the impressions are likely getting bigger.  I wake, turn on the news – cry in sympathy or empathy or fear or pride in others for an hour or so as I sip coffee.  Then I move to browsing Netflix or Prime or HBO or Sling or Hulu trying to find something that will remove me from the funk.  Then I cook.  Then I eat.  Then I sit back down on the sofa and play the rounds, while trying to find or offer sunshine on Facebook.

I did take a couple walks this week – a couple miles at a time.  But then I got sick and stopped walking because I didn’t want to inadvertently cough or sneeze and get my germs on a bench or tree branch or something else that might cause sickness.  Plus, I was out of breath for a couple days, which just made me cough more.

But now I’m better. So tomorrow, I’m breaking out of the quarantine funk.  I’ll stay home or stay six feet from others, but I’m going to do it with my sneakers on and the sun on my face.  And I am going to eat reasonably.  I love to cook, but I’m done cooking for eighteen people when there are only two or three of us spending time together.

I started the year walking 5+ miles a day, and my brain was clearer, my emotions intact and my drive at an all-time high.

So tomorrow, I break out.  I write more, I sleep more at night and less during the day, I eat better, I walk, I whistle, I continue to find the sunshine.

Who’s coming with me?

No comments:

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...