Monday, May 27, 2024

Book Release

 Eyes on the Horizon: Available June 1, 2024

Back in 2008, I started writing Eyes on the Horizon. It was the story of a young, whiny, angsty woman and I wrote the last page first, pretty much word for word, because I knew how I wanted her to emerge from the 300+ pages before.

In 2009, my brother Jeff died of a hemorrhagic stroke at the age of 38. I put the manuscript in a drawer and left it.

I picked it back up in early 2010 and wrote the majority of it. I workshopped it at a writer’s retreat in July of 2010 and it was nearly complete. My angsty protagonist was growing up. I was so excited.

Two weeks after I returned from that trip, my father died tragically. Then my Aunt Carolyn died followed by my Uncle Jim. Two more profound losses.

The book went back into a drawer.

I didn’t look at it again until 2013, and when I did, I scrapped 90% of it (keeping the last page) and started over. The writing in that first iteration seemed so meaningless, so fluffy, so small compared to the immense grief I was feeling inside.

It evolved.

Writing Eyes on the Horizon became my covert way of processing the deaths of Jeff and Dad. As I wrote it, I thought more and more about those who had died, how they had died and who they left behind; and I think, sharing my pain and my grief on these pages – albeit fictionally and dramatically – is necessary to help others tap into their own. The opening quote of the book is from Earl Grollman and summarizes what I’m trying to say here:

 

Grief is not a disorder, a disease, or a sign of weakness. It is an emotional, physical, spiritual necessity, the price you pay for love. The only cure for grief is to grieve.

 

When I finally got the book proof, I reread it. I’d only read it 100 times before, but as a whole book, I read it with fresh eyes. I’d change it, of course. I’d add details and cut some of it, but for me, it’s not really about the finished product. It’s about where I am now compared to where I was when I started writing it.

I became who I was meant to be while writing it; and I’m happy to know they live on and on; and I am so grateful for the love I feel. I hope Eyes on the Horizon touches you in some way and allows you to share your grief because sharing it helps.

No comments:

The Happy Six and Me

Sometimes you meet a person and you feel instantly connected. I had that experience this past Friday except it was with six people.  I’ll r...