Friday, August 14, 2009

Time to Go Back

I'll be pulling away from my parents' driveway later this morning. It has been a full week of activity, many, many laughs and some tears. It was a good week for me to come up. I get the feeling my parents sense my strength now, they seem to rely on it a little more, leaning instead of holding me up. That's what love can do.

I have two songs in my head, vying for attention. The first is What Love Can Do and the second is Blood Brothers. In fact, there are two lines of each song that play back to back in the little spinny thing inside my brain.

"Each one fighting for the other... we said until we died, we'd always be blood brothers," against, "Let me show you what love can do."

There is no doubt that my entire thought process centers around Jeff's death, the current state of circumstances regarding his children and my role in that. The answer is love. Finding it - ain't so easy all the time, my friends. But beneath the anger, the frustration, the fears and the hopes for his young children, it sits. And it is huge. Digging through the other stuff: that's the fight.

I don't know if I'm making sense, but in my tiny brain, I think the answer lies somewhere in seeing the big picture and moving beyond the emotional hurt and into what really matters here. Fighting the good fight for the greater cause.

This message makes sense to only a few of my readers, I am quite certain.

I am destined to make my sister a Springsteen fan. Perhaps after she reads the lyrics to the following song, she'll see my point because I believe it has a message we all need to hear.

There's a pillar in the temple
where I carved your name
There's a soul sitting sad and blue
Now the remedies you've taken
are all in vain
Let me show you what love can do
Let me show you what love can do

Darling I can't stop the rain
Or turn your black sky blue
Well let me show you what love can do
Let me show you what love can do

Well now our truth lay shattered,
we stood at world's end
There's a dead sun rose in view
As if any of this matters, a kiss my friend
Let me show you what love can do
Let me show you what love can do

Darling we can't stop this train
When it comes crashing through
But let me show you what love can do
Let me show you what love can do

On the bench you lie all is nails and rust
And the love you've given's turned ashes and dust
When the hope you've gathered's drifted to the wind
It's you and I now, friend (you and I now, friend)
You and I now, friend

Here our memory lay corrupted and our city lay dry
Let me make this vow to you
Here where it's blood for blood and an eye for an eye
Let me show you what love can do
Let me show you what love can do

Here we bear the mark of Cain
But let the light shine through
Let me show you what love can do
Let me show you what love can do
Let me show you what love can do
Let me show you what love can do

No comments:

Happy Birthday, Tim!

The day was June 16 th . It wasn’t quite summer in Buffalo, and if we’re honest, the snow piles were probably still melting at the end of th...